If you recently had a tooth removed by your dentist, you may be wondering what can help the most in the healing process. Here at Chicago Osteopathic Hospital Dental Clinic, our team wants to ensure the best for your teeth and mouth, which is why we are going to give you some helpful tips you can do right at home to help heal your tooth extraction site.
• After your tooth is removed, the dentist will place gauze pads on the extraction site. You can help reduce the amount of bleeding by biting firmly on the gauze. Make sure you change the gauze before they become soaked in blood or every 3-4 hours after the extraction.
• Eat softer foods after your extraction. These foods may include: soup, pudding or mashed potatoes. As your extraction site begins to heal, you may begin introducing solid foods into your diet.
• Apply ice to the treated area. This can help reduce the amount of swelling and pain you experience after tooth extraction.
• Don’t smoke; this can prevent your mouth from healing properly and may increase your risk of infection.
• Take painkillers as prescribed by your dentist or pharmacist.
• Avoid drinking through a straw for at least 24 hours; this will keep the clot formed in the extraction site from bursting.
• Brush and floss your teeth daily, avoiding the extraction site if possible.
Taking care of your teeth is just as important to you as it is to us. Please contact us with any questions you have about tooth extraction services by calling 773-947-4665 today!