Are you beginning to show signs of gingivitis? As gingivitis progresses, it can lead to a more serious condition called periodontal disease, also known as gum disease. If left untreated, gum disease can cause irreversible tooth loss. Chicago Osteopathic Hospital Dental Clinic PC wants to keep your smile lasting for many years, and offer the following list of common risks for gum disease.
– Smoking is a major risk factor for gum disease. Beyond the host of other problems that could potentially arise, smoking can directly cause gum disease and lower your chances for a successful treatment of the disease. Chewing tobacco is also another risk factor.
– Gum disease can be caused by a decline in saliva flow. Many medications cause dry mouth symptoms.
– Treatments for various diseases, including cancer, can have a disastrous effect on your gums, potentially leading to gum disease.
– Hormonal fluctuations in girls and women could increase their risk for gingivitis, a precursor to gum disease. The risk is due to heightened sensitivity in your gums.
– Individuals who suffer from diabetes are at a greater danger for infections, which includes gum disease.
– Sometimes gum disease can be caused differences in genetics. Some individuals tend to be more genetically susceptible to gum disease than others.
If you are suffering from gum disease, or feel you may be at risk for the disease, please contact our office at 773-947-4665 to schedule an appointment with Drs. Wilson, Wegmann, and Choo at our office in Chicago, Illinois. Making your mouth amazing for many years to come is what we strive to do!